Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Good Sport-An Introduction

By Anthony Segreto
Archbishop McCarthy

Hi, my name's Anthony Segreto, and I'm a sports addict. As you may know, my father, Tony Segreto, was a sportscaster on WTVJ NBC 6 for 30 years, and because of this, I've been surrounded by everything sports since my birth (the first thing my father said to me after I was born was the starting lineup of the 1961 New York Yankees). As if that wasn't enough, I still have the Miami Dolphins onesie my parents put me in when i was an infant, and the picture of Dan Marino that was on my nursery wall. One of my earliest memories is going to the Dolphins' locker room at four years old and polishing helmets on the Saturday before a home game. So, yes, sports have surrounded me my whole life, and I love them with a passion (if you doubt me, I refer you to the 4 foot tall NFL logo fathead on the wall of my room). With this affection I have for sports, it'd be logical to think that I'm an athlete. That couldn't be further from the truth. I am, for the lack of a better term, a klutz. And not even the athletic kind. I'm active and I try to keep in shape, but the "athletic" gene skipped a generation in my family. I was always the last one picked for the recess kickball games in elementary school, and always the one to end up losing the game for the team that was unfortunate enough to be graced with my skill (or lack thereof). But in spite of all of this, or perhaps because of it, I am an insanely passionate fan of all sports. My passion has led me to do some pretty crazy things, but this may be the craziest. I wanted to see what it was like for me, an incredibly un-athletic person, to train with my high school football team during the peak of summer workouts. So that’s what I’m going to do, for a week I’m going to train with the Archbishop McCarthy Mavericks and chronicle my experiences as a football fan getting involved with the nitty-gritty of the sport. I'll take the hits and I'll drop a few (many) passes, but I'll be a good sport about it. Check back here every night as I write about my time with the team, moving from position to position, and learning about the intricacies of the game I love, football.


No comments: